Camp Reynolds was a 3300 acre U.S. Army facility located three miles south of Greenville, Mercer County, in northwestern Pennsylvania. During World War II about a million troops passed through the camp. Most troops were at the camp for a week or less and shipped to the European theater of war. At the peak, about the time of Bill’s arrival, 75,000 men and women were housed here. The camp also was home to over 1800 German POW’s.
Needing a central camp for replacement soldiers heading for Europe, the Federal government chose the site because of the proximity of two major railroads. The camp was designed to last for no more than three years with wooden barracks, headquarters, hospitals, warehouses and other related structures. Camp Reynolds opened in late 1942 and was permanently closed in January 1946.